Open Wide!!

No, no this isn't a post about a trip to the dentist...


More open wide zip pouches!! I can't get enough of these pouches, they are perfect! These two came about when Rachel posted our first precision piecing project for the Penny Sampler class. The idea was to make a very small (read 3 inch finished) churn dash block and use it to make a small open wide pouch.

I thought this would be the perfect chance to make little pouches for the boys to keep some toys in when we go out. I received some cute vehicles fabric from Terry's Fabrics and thought it would be perfect for this project! I mixed in some herringbone denim i had on hand and gave it a go!

Um, not so great. A little FYI here folks, when working to achieve precise pieces, denim isn't going to help! And the vehicles fabric just doesn't work all chopped up like that. Back to the sewing machine! I didn't want to give up this practice work so i moved on to the Out to Sea churn dashes for my practice work. But all the little vehicles were still calling out to be made into pouches for my guys! So with the materials i had on hand i whipped up these two little zips.


I know i've already talked about the open wide zip pouch here, but it's just such a great pouch! I chose to make the smallest size this time around and even cut an inch off the width. (I was working with the zipper size i had on hand.) I like the look of the denim on the bottom and it gives it more structure as well, i didn't use any interfacing at all but the vehicles print is a home decor weight so that helped too with keeping it standing on it's own.

I also love the boxed corners...


Definitely key in getting it to stand up!

And here my friends is why it's called the open wide zip pouch!, 


Nothing would get lost in the depths of this pouch! And for such a little one, it can still hold a great deal of cars!


Because really, that's the deciding factor on if this is a success or not :)


Next up, i'm going to try my hand at Made by Rae's Toddler Backpack!


Has anyone made one? Any tips, tricks or pics to share?!

Well that's it, that's all, off to finish up some Penny Sampler blocks and some churn dashes!

Happy Friday high fives for all!
xo snips

Linking up over at crazy mom quilts as always, 
be sure to pop over and check out all the amazing finishes!

Comments

  1. Love the pouches!! They look great with that denim herringbone fabric.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too adore these pouches! I made one to put my girls huge collection of bows in and it's so easy now to keep them contained and find what we want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the herringbone with the vehicle print is a match made in heaven!! i want one!! fun photos :). I think the backpack will be adorable too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love the open wide pouch pattern! I made a little one for my son, he looooves it--constantly tries to over stuff it with any toy that will fit. The fabric you used is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.s. Fisher price people are my favorite!! I wish they would make the wooden ones again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodnes, so sweet! I'm a fan of that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute pouches! That back pack is going to be ahhhhdorable! Can't wait to see it. I want to give that pattern a go sometime too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! And opening wide is so very, very important sometimes. Opening wide saves the zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I actually still like the churn dash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moly those are perfect! Nice work and excellent purpose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lucky little boys! These are great! Very nice fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those pouches!! They are super cute! I'm impressed by how many cars fit in there - might need to make one or two of these myself! Look forward to seeing your backpack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too cute! I'm going to have to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are brilliant - love the denim! I can imagine how painful it would be in a 3" block though ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a handy little bag. I always love the open wide pouches whenever I see them, but I particularly like the fabric on these ones, perfect for little boys, and how the denim helps keep the shape of the bag. Another job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! Perfect for the little toys to keep them occupied. Doesn't hurt they are adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those pouches. So cute! That denim herringbone is the perfect base.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My daughter could definitely do with some of those pouches! Love the herringbone, adds such great texture. I spied the toddler backpack the other night when browsing for a tote bag. Look forward to reading about how you get on :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts